- 1 medium crusty baguette
- 2 Tbsp. STAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for drizzling
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 4 to 5 small beets (with greens attached), trimmed and quartered
- 2 medium size turnips, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- leafy beet greens, stems discarded and roughly chopped
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Slice the baguette on and angle. Arrange slices on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with STAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven until toasted. Remove and set off to the side.
In a large cast iron skillet heat 2 Tbsp. of STAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium-high heat. Once hot throw in the smashed garlic, chopped beets, turnips, parsnips, sweet potato and onion. Stir to coat in oil and then leave alone for a few minutes so a good crust forms, about 6-7 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium, stir and then add in the thyme leaves and immediately pour in the 1/4 cup of water, cover and let steam for 5-7 more minutes. Remove the lid and add in the chopped beet greens, stir and cover for 2 minutes. Remove the lid, season with a generous pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, stir and continue to cook until the vegetables are fork tender and most of the water has evaporated.
Serve on toasted slices of baguette and drizzle with a little bit more of the STAR Extra Virgin Oil over top.
Recipe developed by: http://www.simplyscratch.com
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 45 mins