- 2 (about 1.5 pounds each) Spaghetti Squash
- ½ tablespoon + 2 teaspoons STAR Grapeseed Oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-pound extra lean, 99% fat free ground turkey
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves (don't add the entire sprig - just the leaves)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 can (14.5-ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano, undrained
- 1 bag (5 ounces) baby kale leaves
- ¾-cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¾-cup shredded low moisture part skim mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F.
Wash the outside of the squash, then slice it lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Brush the squash boats with 2 teaspoons Grapeseed Oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the squash boats to a microwave safe 9×13 baking dish, placing the squash face down.
Fill the dish with about an inch of water. Microwave on HIGH for 15 minutes. Remove from microwave and let stand 10 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
In the meantime, prepare the filling. Heat ½ tablespoon Grapeseed Oil in a nonstick frying pan; add onions, garlic, and ground turkey.
Using a wooden spoon, break up the meat, add thyme leaves and season with salt and pepper.
Continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until meat is browned and cooked through. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add kale leaves and continue to cook for 2 more minutes, or until kale is wilted.
Remove from heat and stir in crumbled feta cheese. Taste for seasonings; adjust accordingly, and set aside.
Flip the spaghetti squash boats, take a fork and peel the spaghetti strands. Add the spaghetti strands to the ground turkey mixture and gently mix until well combined.
Transfer squash mixture into the scraped out squash bowls and top with mozzarella cheese.
Place squash boats in a 9×13 baking dish (You can use the same one that you used to microwave the squash). Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley. Serve.
Recipe developed by: http://www.diethood.com
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 60 mins
Time: 30 minsServes: 6-8
Time: 15 minutesServes: 6-8
Time: 30 minsServes: 4
Time: 25 minsServes: 6